Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel I Beam Chamfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinmeblind

Structural
May 31, 2018
US
I have a steel beam that I need to tuck into an attic space. The issue is the beam ends are too tall to sit on top of the wall plate and not penetrate the roof decking. (W12 beam with 6" of open space for the beam to sit.)

Is there a code requirement for chamfering (dog earing) a steel beam at the support so long as there is sufficient material to carry the shear loading at the support?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I usually just check Chapter G in the steel manual. If shear is a problem, you can add double plates to the sides. If you need the extra 1/2" you can always allow the top flange to be flush to the top of the sheathing.

20211115ET01_hvem7b.jpg

Robinmeblind:
One way to make Koot’s lower sketch detail is to make a horiz. cut into the beam web, below the rolled fillet btwn. the web and the flg., below the ‘k’ dimension on the web. Then, turn and come back out of the web on a downward slope, on the web. You are cutting a wedge out of the end of the web, and you have to lay this all out to get the right dimensions, etc. Then, you clean up (grind) the web cuts and prep. some bevels to weld the web back together. Bend the remaining flg. down and weld the web up. This weld usually doesn’t have to be a CJP weld. Light bevels on each side of the web, and filled with weld, no final grinding needed. You really didn’t tell us the size, dimensions of the beam, the load on the beam, etc. You did say 6” high, but is that at the inside face of the studs or the outside face, and what’s the roof sheathing slope, what’s the bearing req’rd? Then, you have to allow enough clearance to allow you to slip the beam onto the top pls.

All;

Thank you for the input. The steel beam is needed for bending and deflection purposes only. I need about 3/4 sq-in of steel at the end to carry the shear load. Moment is minimal.

What I am left with in the inverted "T-Section" is 4.25 sq-in. With that stated I believe buckling is minimal, and the beam will be packet out with wood to allow connection of 2x hangars for ceiling joists and a LVL beam to attach.

I will most definitely add a buckling calc to the file just to have additional cover though.

Again, thank you for you quick response to this requested information and feed back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back