Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel I-BEAM equivalent size to 2" by 10" hardwood joist 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyVolvo

Electrical
Jul 8, 2001
US
I need to replace a 14'-6" span of floor joist under my dinning room and I believe a steel I BEAM is the easiest
way to go. I need to know the general flang width, web
height and thickness of commercially available steel I-BEAM
that is equivalent in strength to a hardwood 2" by 10"
beam.

Can someone help with a reccommendation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ppl's in my neck of the woods call them "H" beams, seen many a house with one, the problem with them here, is that the local code guy's don't like giving approval for residential const. as there is no "flame" load that they can assign to it, so I said one of them, "and you are worried about it burning ?" and he said, "LOL, no, the problem is, at what point does it start to bend, and everything falls in..... I replied "at that point, would it matter ??"

my 2 cents worth.

I've always heard that the trouble with steel is that it expands as it heats popping the building when it twists and warps.

Nick
I love materials science!

LMAO ! I guess I missed my own point... that is (was) if the steel beam got to the point of bending because of heat, wouldn't the rest of the wood frame home be a write-off anyhow ????

:)

Is there a company that sell connecting system for steel beam/joist for residential housing ? I am thinking something like Simpson ties except for steel beam/joists. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back