Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Steel I section sculpture 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

phuduhudu

Structural
Apr 19, 2001
GB
I have been asked to assess the structure for a temporary 12m high steel sculpture which is basically the outline of a person using heavy 260x260mm I sections cantilevering out of concrete base. The I sections face out from the person with their weak axis. It is in an exposed location so I get wind deflections of about 600mm which is about 5% of height. It has a first mode natural frequency of 1.1Hz. Would anyone be concerned about the large defections which would only occur in the maximum design wind?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, 5% is a significant amount of drift.

I would ensure a 2nd order analysis is taking place to evaluate the stresses at that deflection.

ALso anchorage and foundation should be sufficient to resist the 2nd order effects.

Then I would check deflection at a more frequent level of wind 10 yr mean or something, to see if it looks wrong.

If its a normal windy day and the thing is flying around like a flag that is an undesirable outcome from a serviceability standpoint.

If its the design wind pressure and it sees large deflections I don't that that would be too surprising to anyone as long as it stands up.

Thanks. 2nd order effects should not be large since there is only selfweight of the steel sections and of course it will need to resist overturning for design loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back