Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STEEL LATTICE COMMUNICATION TOWERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayando

Structural
May 20, 2015
GH

Any Idea on the best software for analyzing steel lattice communication towers from 30 to 120 meters high?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may find a wealth of information regarding latticed towers and related software, merely through a keyword search of previous posts.

A good structural engineer is often a blessing for others.

The only one I've used is TnxTower (which I used back when it was called RISATower). Since I work for RISA, I am probably a bit biased.

There are other programs out there. PLS Tower I believe is the next most common one that I've heard about. Though, my belief is that it is more geared towards transmission towers / power lines. Though I could be wrong about that.

STAAD even had a tower program at one point. Though it is a very recent entry into this marketplace and I'm skeptical. Not sure that anyone is really using their tower program.

Thanks Josh. My company is planning to invest in a software and we are looking at the best value for money. I have made some enquiries about Tnxtower-only disadvantage is that it is compliant with the USA and Canada Codes.Even though I hear its the best on the market now. I have heard about PLS Tower too. Have you heard out MSTower-its a Bentley Software?

I had not heard of them... that probably only means that they're not well known in the North American market (which is the only market where I have good knowledge). It seems odd that Bentley would have both STAAD(x)Tower and MSTower. Probably means MSTower was original a separate program that was recently acquired by Bentley.

A quick web search suggests to me that MSTower is mostly an Australian company.... So, if those are the codes you're looking for that might be a good option for you.

If you're looking at the European market there might be some other options. DE Tower, perhaps? I have never used their program, but a friend of my works for them over in the UK and they're the only Tower I've heard of that does the EuroCode.

As Josh stated, MSTower is (was?) Australian-based, by MicroStran (MS) before they sold their sole to Bentley only a few years back.

MS is very popular in Austrlaia, and their speciality program MSTower was probably popular too, amongst the consultants that specialized in such.

I use PLS Tower to analyze and design transmission towers and a few free standing triangular telecom towers. It has the ability to generate the TIA loads based on wind speed. I believe you can purchase only the Tower Module from PLS.

GTStrudl also has a module for doing telecom towers, but I have not heard if they are actively marketing it since being bought by Intergraph. I do know the price of the software is going up but they are including more of the solvers and other modules that were previously an extra cost license.

Ayando,

There's several dedicated software that deals with towers depending on the industry.

SAFI - General, covers towers poles
PLS Tower - transmission towers.
STAAD(X).Tower or MStower by Bentley,
TNX (former Risa) Tower - telecommunication towers
TSTower - Canadian software with integrated connections and foundation analysis.

Some other non-dedicated or non-US software's are capable of modeling and analyzing towers as well but I'm not familiarized with them.

DJ,
5+ruc+r@1 3ngin3(ER)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back