Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel making plant air conditioning, design guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

3vialmadness

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2003
I will design a steel making plant air conditioning system and I need some advices about: the kind of equipment, fresh air, filters, ventilation, etc. Or where I can find information about this issue

Gracias

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You cannot avoid ASHRAE Systems and Applications Handbook, and if I were you I would begin contact with still mill technologists as soon as possible, they will give you input about required conditions, something about heat dissipation values etc.

Thanks, I have this values already, my concern is about the fresh air and the filtering issue, but i got some info

My other concern is about the suppliers, Do I need to know an unkown company (I'm at South of the border, mostly Trane, Carrier and York and that's it)

About ASHRAE, I couldn't find specifical information

Anyway, thanks and regards

I have no experience in designing HVAC for steel plants but have designed systems for coal power plants.A few things to consider:

Control rooms HVAC needs positive pressurisation of atleast 10pa to keep the dust out.So no of doors,windows etc (leakage area) will drive fresh air requirements.Electrical rooms also will need pressurised and filtered ventilation systems.Water cooled systems with dedicated cooling towers are preferred due to dusty environment.Do not tap into plant wide cooling water systems as they may be running at higher temperatures than you would require.Specify wide fin spacing for AHU coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back