Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

steel pin piles & new foundation under old building 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskaman

Specifier/Regulator
Oct 25, 2010
US
Existing building is on a wood foundation, ground is settling in places as much as two feet. Building has been previously jacked up to remain level however a concrete foundation needs to be installed. From everything I have read it seems that 2" steel pin piles are the way to go with 1 minute of full resistance with a 90# jackhammer. Naturally these piles have to be driven outside the perimeter of the building. What is the limit on distance from existing building? Pile caps or welded rebar? Recommended size of footing? The article below was from 2004 and has more info on this topic just not quite enough.

You might also consider the use of driven-in-place small diameter [typically 2 or 3 inch] steel pin-piles to provide underpinning support. These piles can be driven inside or outside the foundation, whichever is the most practical and least expensive. The piles should be driven to "refusal" which is defined as "less than 1-inch of pile penetration after one full minute of contimnuous driving with a 90 pound jack hammer." The piles shouold be driven as close to the perimeter of the foundation as feasible and, once driving and proof testing is completed, should be structurally connected to the exisitng foundation. The connection is typically in the form of a reinforced concrete pile cap or a continuous reinforced beam which is, where feasible, poured against and beneath the footing and is doweled into the existing foundation. If it is infeasible [or expensive] to overexcavate to install the pile caps or grade beam they can be poured against the face of the foundation and/or stem wall and then structurally doweled in-place.The pin-piles should be installed at approximately 4' - 0" center-to-center spacings and each should be capable of developing well in excess of four thousand (4,000) pounds in axial capacity provided the refusal criterion has been met.Research we have performed indicates that if the refusal criterion is met axial load capacities in excess of twenty thousand pounds can be achieved. If the piles are relatively short and/or are surrounded with reasonably firm soil [soil that may be compressible, but not junk]they should not be subject to any significant lateral loading or lateral deflection. This underpinning system has been used extensively in the Pacific Northwest for many years with virtually no detrimental impact. One of the advantages is that you can limit the amount of overexcavation and backfilling, and all the equipment is man-portable a useful point in constrained access sites.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you dealing with permafrost?

There may be a lot more to this than meets the eye with 2 feet of settlement. That is extremely high.

I would strongly recommend getting a geotech and structural engineer.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

msquared48 first of all thank you for your reply. Permafrost conditions do not exist in this region, (Southeast Alaska rain forest) the ground is basically fill over solid rock, building is 36 x 40 one corner is on solid rock the other has as much as 15 feet of fill in the deepest point. This fill may never stop settling so friction cannot be trusted. As far as I know the piles must be driven to bedrock. Married to rebar and cast into a continues foundation. As the ground continues to fall away fill material will have to be imported. From my research steel piling is a sound method to use however I have not seen anyone use it with no existing foundation, frankly sounds like a better situation to have a completely new foundation upon project completion. Any advice is highly appreciated!

Sounds like pin pile will work here when coupled with a grade beam system over the pin pile to serve as a foundation.

Might want to place the grade beams well below the finish grade and extend a stem wall up to above grade to allow for future settlement of the surrounding soil.

However, I would still consult a geotech and structural engineer to design the total foundation system.

Are there any methane issuues here from decomposing vegetative material?

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

would you recommend a steel plate pile cap that the grade beam would sit on or a rebar style pile cap that would be poured (incorperated) into the grade beam. Is there a standard dimension and rebar layout for such gradebeams, (single story structure).

There are no known methane issues but as of yet no geotech professionals have been consulted. I like your ideas about pouring subgrade, Thanks Again for your time-

Definitely use a welded cap bearing plate at the top of the pin pile that is embedded into the grade beam so it will not wander in a seismic event. It is also a good idea to weld a couple of grade 40, #4 rebar, 4 feet long and bent up into the grade beam, to the top of the plate too for extra measure. These would be in addition to the grade beam steel.

When designing the grade beams, I generally make them so that nothing more than nominal stirrups are required, if any. Being in Alaska, with the high seismic criteria, you may have to provide stirrups anyway.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Alaskaman: I agree that pin piles would be good here. Given that you have portions of the fill that are 15 ft deep, I advise you to:
(a) do boring and or probes using hand driven equipment to get some ideas of what you will be driving the pipes thru, and at what depth to expect approach to refusal. Good bearing elevation will change very fast, given your bedrock/fill situation.
(b) think about the way the pipes will be coupled. It's not a trivial issue. Threads can strip and make it difficult to drive the next pipe. Every pipe driver has his own favorite splice device. Point is, I recommend that you get a geotech and/or structural eng to work with you, who has done this stuff before, and knows the pitfalls.
(c) I have used a max working load of 7000 lb per 2" pile for about 30 projects with no problems. Pipes are driven to refusal as defined by others above. Good Luck.

Is there a specific grade of pipe that is required for pin piles? Galvanized 2" schedule 80 is all I have herd to date.

Steel grade: SPHC, 08AL, 08F, HG5, DF08, Q195-235, M8
Standards: ASTM, API, JIS, DIN, EN, BS, GB

Galv Sch. 80 and Sch 40 is very available, so that's what we use. The allowable stress on this steel pipe is well above the actual stress to which it is subjected, at least to axial load.

You also can use a hollow injection anchor. I think they make a 30 mm holow tread bar that can be installed with a 90 lb rock drill that can be socketed into the rock with a 42 mm rock bit and grouted that would do the trick. Lock up williams form and CTS/Titan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back