Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel Pipe Designation

Status
Not open for further replies.

StructuralPoke

Structural
Jun 6, 2005
US
Quick questions for everyone. There is a descrepancy between my previous office and my current office on how pipes are specified. The current office is calling out pipes as 3 1/2" STD Pipe (ASD Manual), but my previous office would have called that out as an HSS4.000x0.226 (LRFD Manual). The properties of these two shapes are not exactly the same between the 9th ed. ASD and the 3rd ed LRFD manuals. Also, the latest "Naming Convention for Structural Steel Products for Use in Electronic Data Interchange" I can find (Link = still has pipes specified as PIPE<NPS Designator>x<thickness>. This is dated June 2001, so is it out of date?

So now for my question:s Which is the proper way to specify a pipe? If there are 2 ways to specify the same O.D. and thickness, why are the properties different? What are the 'real' properties of the shape: ASD Manual or LRFD Manual?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back