Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel plate analysis for point load question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjb2

Structural
Oct 17, 2005
US
I am looking for a design reference for checking a steel plate for bending due to a point load in the center. The simplest way to explain what I'm looking for would be to consider a steel plate welded all around to the end of an HSS tube. Then put a bolt through the middle with a point load.

Does anyone know of a good design reference for a simplified analysis for this condition? I don't have access to FEA computer software.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yield line analysis is the easiest way to find the ultimate load, but you have to decide whether the plate is hinged, fixed or partially restrained on each edge.

If you want an elastic analysis, consult "Theory of Plates and Shells" by Timoshenko and Woinosky-Krieger.

BA

The only issue I have with a yield line analysis is that it gives so much extra capacity that if you use it for design of a new plate, you could easily get yielding under service loads (because the ultimate capacity will be much greater than 1.6 times the yield capacity, and your load factor won't be more than that).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back