Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel Plate Waterstops? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjb2

Structural
Oct 17, 2005
US
I read in ACI 350R (Environmental Engineering Concrete Structures), Section 4.3.3.1, that 1/4" steel plate waterstops have been used sucessfully in conctruction joints. Has anyone had positive experiences using steel plates for waterstops? Any negative experiences with them? I am thinking that with a steel plate there would be less of a chance of the waterstop getting bent over during the conctete pour.

Any input is appeciated.
Thanks

FYI, I'm designing a sewage lift station that is 30 feet deep in saturated soil. Obviously, the wet well cannot leak but in this case it is very important that the dry well remains dry also. I will have 3 horizontal construction joints. One at the slab level and 2 higher in the walls.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To make a waterstop perform properly it must be continuous. Steel plates are certainly impervious, but short of seal welding them together, water can "sneak" in between the joints in adjacent plates or "around the ends" at corners, etc. Being flexible, PVC is better. Trouble is that performance of both are totally dependent on quality of workmanship at the most intense and critical time - during the concrete placement process.

IMHO, the best "all-around" solution is to use bentonite based materials, such as this:

Bentonite based products are flexible, conform to virtually any shape, and best of all, are installed between concrete placements - when inspection and verification of proper installation can be made without having to work while fresh concrete is setting.

[idea]

Our company has been designing water and wastewater treatment plants for about 75 years. We have some historical prints up as decorations and on them steel plate waterstops were shown.
I suspect they're not being used anymore because they have to be welded togetner, they're more expensive and they don't seal as well as PVC or rubber. We thought about using stainless steel waterstops in some ozone contactors about 10 years ago but found ozone resistant waterstops that were less of a nuisance to install.
I'm surprised that no one makes a stiffened PVC waterstop to avoid the folding over issue.

Steel waterstops rust out! Use PVC or EPDM waterstops and make them continuous.

I just sat in on a water-proofing seminar concentrating on the pitfalls of dumbbell waterstops and the benefits of bentonite. I'm convinced that bentonite would be the best solution where it can be used.

My experience with steel plate waterstops goes back to 30 years ago. My company used them, 1/4" plate, welded, since they were having trouble with pvc bending over in tall wall pours. We used them to form one side of the shear key.

Are todays waterstops still prone to bending over?

I've specified them in the past at the insistence of my then boss. We didn't weld the joints but lapped the sheets 300mm. It was considered that the long path required for leakage would eliminate leakage.
Corrosion was not considered a problem as the reinforcement in the wall is subject to the same conditions and is not particularly considered at risk (for non-aggresive groundwater).
I haven't specified steel waterstop since moving on from that job. I usually specify a swelling type these days.
I have seen copper waterstop used for a swimming pool built in the 50's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back