Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel roller availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

timeline1968

Mechanical
Sep 3, 2006
US
The company I work for has a product that uses steel rollers which are hardened and chromed. The specifications called out for this roller are way overkill for our use (60 Rc, dia tolerance of .0005", etc) and the small quantity we use makes them costly to produce.

What I'm wondering is:
Where I used to work we made a steel roller mill once that formed strips of steel into various shapes using many sets of rollers. There must be companies that manufacture these roller mills on a production line-type basis, and therefore have replacement rollers as stock items, especially the flat ones I need. I can easily modify our design to fit a different roller, I just need a source.

These rollers are about 2 3/4" long and 3" diameter. If anyone has an idea as to where I could procure such items, I'd appreciate the input. I've done some searching myself but have had no luck thus far.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you looked into using standard yoke rollers by McGill, Smith Bearing or INA? Does these rollers have a fixed bore? or a rolling element?

Russell Giuliano

You might find 70mm rollers from a metric
supplier. They make these for cross roller
bearing assemblies. The length would be
less than 70mm and probably 65mm long.
You might call Rotek Inc. and see if they
have any extra rollers in stock that they
would be willing to sell to you. They are
located in Aurora Ohio. How many do you need
and how many per year? They should be able
to tell you who they buy these from too.

timeline1968
Here is a partial listing of companies that manufacture rolling mills on a production line basis. you can Google these to get their addresses :-Oliver, Engel, Flagler, Lockformer, Yoder, Tishken.
There are others.
B.E.

Diskullman: Thanks for the suggestions, however these rollers have a fixed bore, they are not bearing rollers, but rather drive rollers.

dimjim: Rotek doesn't appear to have what I'm looking for either, but thanks anyway.

berkshire: These are the types of companies I was looking for the names of. Hopefully one of them can come up with something. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back