Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel sheet as lateral restrain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drile007

Structural
Jul 14, 2007
SI

Can I take into account steel sheet (thicknes=4mm) as a lateral restrain against torsional buckling?
Thank you in advance.

Drile007

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Lateral restraint would be ok provided the sheet steel is ok for the compression force generated due to the lateral movement. You would need to check compression buckling in the sheet and make sure you have restraint back to a system that transfers lateral loads suitably to the ground.

I feel without proper stiffeners 4mm sheet( even if continuously welded to the beam) cannot be taken as a reliable lateral constraint.I would prefer not to consider it .

Excerpt from Lui's Handbook of Structural Engineering, "Torsional buckling occurs in members with doubly symmetric sections such as cruciform or built-up shapes with very thin walls. Flexural–torsional buckling occurs in members with singly symmetric cross-sections (e.g., channel,tee, equal-legged angle, double-angle sections) when such sections are buckled about the axis of symmetry and in members with unsymmetric cross-sections (e.g.,unequal-legged L). Normally,torsional buckling of symmetric shapes is not particularly important in the design of hot-rolled compression members. It either does not govern or its buckling strength does not differ significantly from the corresponding weak axis flexural buckling strengths. However, torsional buckling may become important for open sections with relatively thin component plates."

What kind of structural shape are you talking about here?

"Sheesh. Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed."

Also from the same reference: "For torsional buckling modes, bracing must prevent twist of the cross-section to be
effective."

If it is a torsional buckling mode, it's twisting restraint that is needed not lateral.

"Sheesh. Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed."

Assume that the thin, 4mm, sheet is on both sides of the compression flange. The side in tension does not need stiffeners. This tension side is sufficient for bracing purposes against twisting and lateral movement.

My personal gut feeling would be:

Lateral restraint - yes
Torsional restraint - no.

Even if the plate can technically support the required bending moment it would be too flexible to eliminate torsional effects.

csd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back