Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel Stud Eave Framing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdblake

Structural
Feb 27, 2009
US
I have a small building (50' x 27') with 2' eaves on the side of the building. The roof is a monoslope roof (3:12). The problem I'm having concerns the framing of the eaves and their connection the the perimeter shear walls. Is there a typical detail out there for eave framing? The eave is 9 feet tall at the tallest end so it becomes a somewhat substantial part of the building. My best idea is to create a "box" and attach the boxes @ 32" oc to construct the eave. The eaves will be sheathed with metal siding. Any help would be helpful. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Something odd here. How high are the eaves again? the drop from high to low looks like 7'-9". Perhaps the 9'-0" is the low side.

What type of framing? I usually extend the rafter an put a metal deck on the underside.

Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

The side eave is 33' feet long. With a 3:12 pitch, the drop is 8'-3". I rounded up to 9'-0". The shear walls are light framed as well with 1/2" plywood. The roof decking is 20 gauge.

The ends of your rafters should have somwe form of a barge member at the ends. Why not extend the barge members to pick up the last rafter at the end of the eave? I assume you are looking at 24" ewaves at the ends?

In addition, you could install perpendicular stiffener joists between the rafters at 4 foot spacing along the endwall, carrying them back a couple of rafter spaces. This would help support the end joist at the end of the eave.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Just run a vertical stud down from each roof truss (or joist) overhang (2' oc), and a horizontal stud (to form the soffit) from the bottom of the vertical stud back to the wall studs. Since the eave framing will be at 2' oc and the wall studs will be at 16" oc, you will need a horizontal track, fastened to the wall studs, to receive the soffit studs.

DaveAtkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back