Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

steel to steel glue

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve101

Structural
Sep 27, 2003
GB
can anyone recommend a glue / epoxy resin for fixing machine plant footings to steel deck plate? it's for a no-hot work area. the other alternative solution is for sort of single sided bolts.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Twenty-two years ago, I ran a test program where I tried to glue or epoxy together the flanges of steel beams. I was looking for a way to eliminate welding. I cleaned and grinded the faces of the flat flanges until they were clean and roughened. I tried several different brands of adhesives, mostly Sika products, both high and low modulus products. The products were chosen with recommendations from manufacturers' technical staffs. After applying and curing the adhesives, I applied a shear force parallel to the flange faces to separate one flange from the other. With some products, I could get fairly high bond strengths but they were brittle and would fail suddenly. Sometimes the bond would fail just from the shock of a hammer hitting the steel. In addition, the application of adhesive was dependent on weather (temperature, moisture, etc.). I eventually abandoned my test program. Maybe there are new adhesive products available today, but I wouldn't be too optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back