Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

steel worm gear coating

Status
Not open for further replies.

spears

Mechanical
Jan 24, 2005
US
I have a skewed worm assembly for medium power transmission and indoor use. I have choosen 1045 steel for the helical worm gear and will probably use 1045 for the worm as well. However I have seen similar gear setups with a gold or bronze coating on the steel. I presume this is for friction, hardness, or corrosion. Does anyone have information on these coating or which would work well?

THanks Spears

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What you see as a bronze coating is actually a bronze wheel. The reason bronze is used is to reduce friction between the worm and the wheel. Unlike helical bevel gear sets which operate with a rolling action, worm gear sets operate with a sliding action that causes friction. Efficiency ranges for worm units can range between 40% and 90% whereas helical bevel efficiencies can range between 94% and 99%. Also, steel on steel has a higher fricton factor than steel on bronze and wouldn't last very long in a worm wheel set configuration.

Hope this helped

Jp

You may have been looking at a Titanium Nitride coating, commonly used on cutting tools, but also used on other wear items. It is a thin, hard coating, that may help reduce friction and wear between two steel parts rubbing, such as in the worm and gear pair you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back