Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steering geometry 4-wheel vehicle 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sjoerd

Mechanical
Aug 12, 2002
NL
I am working on a development project of a disbled 4 wheel scooter. The vehicle will only steer with both front wheels. Maximum speed is 15 km/h. My idea is to apply ackerman steering with KPI and Caster. What is a good value (3D) suspension program to determine the complete geometry?

Thanks!
Sjoerd

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Susprog3d, if your suspension architecture is one of the ones modelled. Download the demo and find out. See the FAQ section for other suggestions.

You may want to model both steering LOADS and returnability from full lock, in which case you'll need a full vehicle model.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Thanks for the information Greg. I have downloaded the program and will have a go.

I don't know what you mean with 'steering loads' and 'full lock'. Could you explain these shortly?

Thanks.
Sjoerd

Briefly, the torque required to turn the steering wheel (SWT), and the tendency for the steering wheel to return to the straight ahead position by itself.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back