Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stellite? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranekiran

Mechanical
Mar 1, 2002
IN
Dear all,

what is a stellite?Is it a separate alloy material or Does stelliting mean some form of welding the base material for corrosion protection?

I would greatly appreciate any response

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Stellite I've heard was a trade name. We all use it but its normally Nickel, Chromium,Boron on a carbon or stainless steel base metal. Shaft sleeves or other items subject to wearing are often times coated with this material. Wayne E. Lovison
service-parts@naglepumps.com

To: rustbuster-- What is Deloro Stellite? I thought it was Haynes Stellite. Maybe Haynes patent or copyright ran out and now others can use that name or is Deloro something entirely different?

Stellite is used in wear applications but does it not also have high temperature resistance so that the primary application would be wear resistanc at high temperaure?

Leonard Jesus is the WAY

I do not recall all the details, but when Haynes was in financial trouble about 8 years ago they had to decide how to survive and there was not enough prospective business in the Stellite alloy area for them to make it viable. Deloro acquired the alloy technology, licences etc., or maybe they already had them, or... a call to Deloro would probably provide the correct story.

Anyhow, this is the same familiar family of alloys used for valve seats and many other critical wear -resistant applications. They are nickel and cobalt alloys with very good elevated temperature properties too. Here's a paste in from the Deloro Stellite web site. (Unfortunately they don't want to say what happened to Haynes there either.)

Stellite 6 is the most generally useful cobalt alloy, having excellent resistance to many forms of mechanical and chemical degradation over a wide temperature range. Particular attributes are its outstanding self-mated anti-galling properties, which result in its wide use as a valve seat material, high temperature hardness, and a high resistance to cavitation erosion. The alloy is ideally suited to a variety of hardfacing processes.

Stellite is a registered trademark of Stoody Deloro Stellite. Haynes was the inventor of the alloys. Haynes sold various licenses. For a supplier try calling Scott at High Performance Alloys 800 472-5569. I don't think they sell Stellite but they sell the same alloys from a different source.

We sell a version of the alloy as Talonite to the knife making industry. We have information on our web site geared to that industry.
If you want to test some I can send you a sample piece.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back