Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stem key in Cantilevered Retaining Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assayagr

Structural
Nov 8, 2007
US
I'm in the process of designing a 21' cantilevered retaining wall and the shear at the base (between the stem wall and the footing) is a bit too high. I'd like to include a shear key as well as the effects of friction to increase my capacity but I'm not sure how to analize the key in this situation.
Any advice would be apreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shear from flexure and shear from soil pressure are the same. The shear found "d" away from the base is the design shear. The load diagram showing soil pressure is integrated to produce the shear diagram, thus it is the same shear that the makes the moment diagram or flexure.

BPA827,

The OP was about developing the shear at the stem to footing interface. Thus all the talk about shear friction, keys, etc.

civilperson,

No one on this post is really arguing how to calculate the shear, just how to develop it across a construction joint. It is much the same situation which would occur if you made a construction joint in a slab right on the side of a supporting wall. That is avoided by casting the slab over the wall or keying it in. A cantilever wall is just a vertical slab, but for some reason it is not respected as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back