Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STEP Assemblies AND Solidworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommo

Mechanical
Feb 20, 2003
AU
A supplier of Electrical Enclosures, has models of their range of enclosure available for download in STEP format.

On downloading the zipped file and opening in Solidworks (2007) I have the perfect model of an enclosure, including hardware, internal panels, door latches etc. It has obviously been saved as an assembly in the parent program.

Solidworks saves this model as a part "imported 1" etc. - I want to be able to save this as an assembly and I break the assemble into it's individual pieces, such as the door if I want to put cut-outs for gages etc.

Can anyone help me save the imported part as an assembly?

Thanks in advance

Tommo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I'm not mistaken, unless all the individual parts are saved with the assembly, and not just the assembly, the assembly will simply be a dumb solid. I know there's a way to save out an assembly so that all its parts are accessible, but it has to be done by the creator.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
CAD Administrator
SW '07 SP2.0, Dell M90, Intel 2 Duo Core, 2GB RAM, nVidia 2500M

SolidWorks has nothing to do with it. The original model was created as an assembly but saved as a part before converting to step. SolidWorks can't recreate the original assembly from the part. Contact Hoffman and try to get the assembly from then or cut extrude the existing door in the part and create your own and mated into an assembly.

Some of the Hoffman step files are assemblies and some are unioned. I have contacted them in the past and it depends on when the model was created. Can you provide the link to the particular file you needed.

Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Certified SolidWorks Professional

If you already have individual solid bodies you won't need to use the Split feature, but can Insert > Features > Save Bodies to save whichever solids you like as individual parts.

Lots of manufacturers don't want the guts of what they provide "exposed", so they'll often send out only the outer surfaces to mask what's inside. Hoffman could be selectively doing this with some of their parts or perhaps they're trying to save site bandwidth.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Did you have the -Import multiple bodies as parts- option checked when you opened the step file. Make sure this is unchecked. It may be an assebly.

RFUS

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.

At one stage or other I have done most of the things suggested such as opening the part, deleting parts and saving whats left e.g. a door etc.

I found the "Import multiple bodies as parts" option and made sure that was unchecked - I was hoping there was an opposite of this somewhere.

I think that jmirasola and dogrila were on the money with the assembly being saved as a part and acting as dumb solid when re-opened. Hoffmann may want to do this - but they offer most parts of their enclosures such as back-panels etc. for download.

I did try to find the "Split Bodies" function - Help told me it was on the "Features" toolbar - but I don't have it on my program here.

Thanks to all - I will contact Hoffman and see if they have an explanation.

To add the Split icon to your Features toolbar;

Acivate your Features toolbar, then RMB on a clear toolbar space and select Customize > Commands > Features, then drag the icon onto the Features toolbar.

[cheers]
SW07-SP3

Thanks CorBlimeyLimey!

There is a whole new world of functions in that customize menu. I would never have thought to look!

I gave the split command a go, I can see that it might work, but I will need some practice.

Thanks for the lead!

Tommo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back