Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STEP file & V5

Status
Not open for further replies.

phodge

Mechanical
Oct 23, 2003
SE
Hi, don't know if there is an easy answer to this but:

I'm working on some files in V5, that were originally drawn in pro-e. We received these files as STEP and converted the files into catparts as we have the 'ST1 Step core interface' product.

This produced unintelligent catparts, a solid part with no history or no underlying surfaces.

We now have to modify these parts and ideally this would require the original construction surfaces.

Has anybody else worked on models like this?
Are there any tips for working on models like this?

Up till now I've been extracting and extrapolating surfaces but obviously this is not ideal.

Any help is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

sometimes CATIA dosen't accept Surf Data as STEP. there is several possibility. i don't like to take your time to explain. try to insert your STEP file to Mechanical Desktop. now you can realize you have any surf converted or not! if you have any surf in Mechanical Desktop, then Block it out, Convert it to IGS , then open it in CATIA and add it to your CATproduct solid contained file.

if you like you can send me a sample STEP, i can do that for you.

Regards
cadesigner777@yahoo.com

The Bad news.
The current release of STEP does not include history or feature information, only part elements such as faces, edges and points. There is a proposal in front of the "controlling bodies" to try and add feature history.
The Good news
There is a feature recognition ability available as an add on to Catia (sorry can't remember the package name). It can then be used to identify features such as fillets, holes, etc.
The other option.
Get the MultiCAX plugin for ProE and transfer solids directly. Unfortunately these solutions will cost you money!!

The only other method is to use your existing "lump" solid as a base solid to add catia created features and dressups to. If you need a hole to be smaller you have to add material etc.

Good luck

Gary W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back