Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.STEP file export issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDKevin

Mechanical
Feb 24, 2011
US
I am trying to export some assemblies for co-worker to render in KeyShot. It has worked for a number of assemblies I converted from .igs and .step files. I make the assemblies, modify exploded views and parts, then re-save it as a STEP AP203 or SP214, he doesn't know the difference nor do I. Half a dozen have worked with little/no problems. Two files aren't working. One has a major body part missing and the internals showing and the other fails with an error like "Can not import geometry."

I really have no idea why this is happening. The files that do work are not being treated differently. In the second case I removed the files I modified and it still won't work.

Any insight on the issue would be great. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did. All but one part resolved eventually. One face that is mirrored (so two faces) never resolved and after deleting it (them) wouldn't fill the gap. So I deleted the bad file from the assemble and saved again with the same result. I've tried a few other versions of this solution to no avail.

You are quite right though. I always do import diagnostics even when it doesn't come up with a problem.

I tired that on your advice. The Keyshot software doesn't seem to support these file types (according to co-worker). Good suggestion though.

Parasolids and ACIS formats rarely have the problems of STEP and IGES. If you export as a parasolid then you know you have a good solid. You can then export that as the various file types you are trying. I've had a ton of problems bringing in IGES and STEP files because of open faces, etc. When I brought them in as parasolids or rather had the original file sent to me in a parasolid format I rarely had a problem, and when I did it was relatively easy to resolve.

In your original post you indicate the files are imported to SWX from STEP and IGES formats. You then do your stuff to the assemblies then try to export it as STEP and IGES. Can you get the original files in a parasolid or ACIS format? I suspect if you can you will have a better time of it and be able to generate the export files successfully.

- - -Updraft

Hi Kev,

I have this same issue alot when importing larger assemblies with sub assemblies. when opening step or iges you will notice that it usually saves out assembly parts within the same folder as the step/iges.

1. Open step
2. Save as a normal part
3. Dissolve sub assemblies
4. Make all the parts virtual
5. Resave as a STEP/IGES

This worked for me, dont know if it will help you issue

Regards,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back