Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Step file relations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sripri

Automotive
Feb 16, 2007
US
I get models of machined castings from other softwares using step format to do modifications inside SW. Usually casting models are made and then the part is inserted into another part file to do all the machining cuts. When I get the step files of machined castings from other softwares, they are usually created (the step files) from machined part. When I use "feature works" in solidworks to transform the machining features into solidworks entities (extrude, cut, fillet, etc), it has the casting as imported1 and other features as individual features. SW is not able to recognize the casting model inserted before making the machining cuts in the other software (I guess). If I try to use feature works for "Imported1" it asks for a source file (I think, may be a step file for casting). Is there a way to make "feature works" recognize all the features of the casting as well. Or should I bring in casting and machining step files separately though they both are embedded in the machining file? Please let me know, If the question is not clear, please ask me. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you know what native software package for these models?

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 3.0 & Pro/E 2001
XP Pro SP2.0 P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right." -- George Best

Try using manual mode instead of automatic for feature recognition. This may help get features ordered in a way that makes more sense. Start by getting fillets out of the way.

If there are faces that are "almost" parallel but not quite, this can interfere w/ Featurework's operation. CATIA-originated models are especially bad for this reason. Liberal modelling tolerances in CATIA translate into STEP and IGES as faces that are not parallel. This occurs in the CATIA model, and has nothing to do with SW's translation ability.

Heckler, The models I get are from IDEAS. Tick: I will try the manual method, I have not tried before. Will get back. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back