Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Step7 v5.2 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinBEng

Electrical
Mar 31, 2003
HT
Dear all,

I recently upgraded from Siemens Step7 v5.1 to v5.2.

When I tried to reconnect to the PLC I received and error saying that "the configured hardware interface is already being used by another programming package"

I am using the CP5511 card and MPI cable which worked fine before.
Please help,
MartinBEng

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear MartinBEng,
Have you checked what's configured in "Set PG/PC Interface" applet in Control Panel ("S7 Online" access point item)?
You can also try Siemens AD free support ad.support@siemens.com, usually very helpful

Dear ipupkin,

Yes, I already checked the connection in the "set PG/PC interface" section but when applying the test in the diagnostics option it returns "hardware not found".

I'll try the ad.support.

Thanks,
MartinBEng

Dear MartinBEng,

I would also check the following:

Was the upgrade of Step the only action made to PC? I mean, what if it is something IRQ- or Windows- related, like lack of irq numbers or simply lack of HDD space (I noticed that Step7 needs several megs or more to open project). What is status of CP in Windows' Device Manager?

Is it possible that, really, another application or service is trying to use CP at the same time? For example (I am sure this is not so stupid like this, just for example) WinCC test project is running and is trying to connect to PLC via the same CP. What are other "access points of application" in the "set pg/pc applet" that use the same CP5511?

Hi Jacekd,

My laptop runs XP home. I know it's not approved for Step7 but friends of mine have successfully loaded and are using it with XP home edition.

My problem is with conflicting memory allocation for the CP5511.
I found a possible resolution at Siemens online at
I'll try it out and let you know.

Thanks,
MartinBEng

I believe the CP5511 is not supported by Step7 5.2, I
bought the CP5512 which is supported by 5.2 and XP
Professional and mine works great after I made this change.

When trying the solution listed on Siemens webpages:
and I had no success as there is conflicts with the Interrupt Request (IRQ) memory resources in device manager.

When I changed the memory configuration (in the CP5511 resource mapper-downloaded from above links) from 32KB to 16KB and re-installed the card no error appeared. Does anyone know the difference 16 or 32 will make? I have yet to try this on a PLC.

SiemensRulz: What is the difference between CP5511 and CP5512. Do you know approx pricing?

Thanks
MartinBEng

I haven't used that application of Siemens, however, i've ran into a similiar problem with other s/w versions/apps and plc processors. On the other hand, this is using the com port of the computer.

Have you used RSLinx for Allen-Bradley? If so, have you used the 1747-PIC driver and are running on XP? If so, you will need to delete the PIC driver and restart your computer. There is something wrong between XP and running the PIC driver.

MartinBEng,
May be you can try to create custom Hardware Profile, reboot using it and disable all periferal devices besides CP (like USB, NIC, Sound etc.). Just another way to avoid resourse conflict.

Hi all,

Siemens has announced an MPI/DP converter that connects via USB (6ES7 972-0CB20-0XA0). It is probably a development of the old MPI/DP converter that connects via the serial port.
But I find it interesting because it is the same price as the old serial converter (less than half of either CP5511 or CP5512). And you can use it with both a stationary and a laptop, whereas the CP5511/CP5512 can only be used with a laptop. It is stated to go to 1.5MBaud and to work with W2K and XP.
So I wonder if there is any compelling reason to use CP5511/CP5512 over the USB converter ?

Ln97:
Where have you heard that CP5511 only supports W2K or less ?
Siemens states that the CP5511 will support everything from W95 to XP.

Finally, the problem is that there is not enough free memory in the d-segment section. The entry D000-DFFF doesn't seem to exist (under device manager>simatic net>CP5511>properties>resources>memory)?????

MartinBEng

ipupkin,

My CP5511 is at IRQ 07, this is not creating a conflict, but when I try to set the memory range a conflict is created.
When I try to set the memory range manually the first of the 2 settings has no resources available, all the resources are being used up by the cardbus controller. ??
The second setting doesn't have a problem.

Martin.

MartinBEng,
May be you can try to create custom Hardware Profile in Windows, reboot using it and disable all periferal devices besides CP (like USB, NIC, Sound etc.). Just another way to avoid resourse conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back