Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stepped Column-Bursting Effect 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENGUCR

Structural
Sep 23, 2017
LK
Hi,

In a high rise building, A stepped column(offset column) is formed like shown in the attachment. The lower column section is reducing it's length by 33% to rise above a particular floor(at 6th floor of the 48 storey building). I would like to know whether any bursting effect will occur at the end block of the lower column due to this transition & any guidance of how much transverse reinforcement is required to resist this bursting. thanks in advance

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=91f36774-e4ff-4717-aafd-29ace0b488df&file=step_column.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I understand your situation correctly, there's an example shown in PCA notes for something similar. On a walked column, however, it may be more prudent to examine the situation using a strut and tie model and just ensure that you've got a convincing rebar tie holding your node in place laterally.

c01_jbgpwy.jpg

c02_npvcr0.jpg

c03_otuuyw.jpg

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Thanks a lot kootK. You have understood it correctly. In addition will it possible to use ACI shear friction method for this scenario by treating axial force as a shear force?

You're most welcome ENGUCR.

ENGUCR said:
In addition will it possible to use ACI shear friction method for this scenario by treating axial force as a shear force?

I don't recommend it. As I mentioned previously, I think that using a strut and tie model -- at least a simplified one -- is really the way to go hear. Both methods may well produce similar results but I think that the shear friction model is really intended for a different condition: edge load with restraint induced lateral rather than column walk.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

ENGUCR said:
Thanks KootK. You are great...

That's very kind of you to say ENGUCR, thank you.

racooke said:
Why 20 degrees there? Doesn't the "standard" summation diagram yield (crack) at the 45 deg angle?

Nah, this is a different animal. The 45 degree business makes sense for pure shear. With other loads in play, the critical angle changes. My understanding is that 20 degrees is really just one angle of an infinite set that could possibly be critical. In the past, I've set it up as a rough spreadsheet check and futzed around with a few angles to get a sense for it.

Kootk, a little off topic but I just had a look that through shear friction example you posted and have a couple of questions (shear friction has always confused me).

- do the stirrups not need to be developed either side of the failure plane? Can imagine the block of concrete just sliding off leaving the stirrups hanging.
- no allowance for depth of section/ concrete shear strength, under these assumptions wouldn’t a 0 degree (vertical) shear failure be critical given it would be equal to your applied load? Is 20 degrees a rule of thumb?

Look forward to your response if you have a spare minute!

NZStrctEng said:
shear friction has always confused me

I hear 'ya. I lost the first half of my thirties scratching my head over shear friction and concrete shear in general. Shoulda been chillaxin' with the kids.

NZStrctEng said:
do the stirrups not need to be developed either side of the failure plane?

I agree, the stirrups do need to be developed either side of the failure plane. You'll have to come along on a short walk with me in order to get the answer to this (my answer at least). If you go back to looking at just plain old beam shear reinforcing, most codes have a provison for allowing small diameter stirrups to be considered fully developed at the tangency pont of the hook if they are hooked around a flexural bar. In the US, small diameter = #5 or smallar. So far so good. I would submit that the situation here is analagous with the cage just turned 90 degrees. So, in my opinion, part of the design here would be ensuring the use of appropriately "small" wall/column ties. You'll get that naturallly in columns of coure. In walls, you'd have a very high chance of getting small bars too but, I suppose, might occassionally see #6 bar etc. The business with the stirrup development cheat comes up a fair bit in practicce. I've always wished that they would generalize the concept a bit more in the code.

NZStrcEng said:
Is 20 degrees a rule of thumb?

I don't believe that it is. I've taken the intent of this stuff to be that failure could occur over any potential angle plane and that it's up too the judgment of the engineer to satisfy themselves that things are kosher. It's tempting to think that the shear plane would be oriented along the same axis as the load resultant but, in my experience, that not usually the case. It may well be a good place to start the investigation though, particularly if it's being done by hand.

NZStrctEng said:
no allowance for depth of section/ concrete shear strength, under these assumptions wouldn’t a 0 degree (vertical) shear failure be critical given it would be equal to your applied load?

I agree with this as well. I believe this failure mode to be irrelevant in the absense of a lateral load. It's probably best studied by lookging at a few cases:

1) Just like the sketches above, there is a lateral load as a result of supported member restraint ect. In this case, the shear friction failure mode definitely applies.

2) In OP's case, I would argue that there is still a lateral load at the bottom of the transferred column. In this situation, however, that lateral load is internal, originating from the non-vertical primary compression struts that arise in column walk situations. So I think that OP was on the right track in thinking of the bursting model here. As I said above, however, I belive that strut and tie modelling is the most appropriate way to look at this particular condition. Conceived of in this manner, the required reinforcing essentially becomes the tie and the failure wedge becomes the node. At least that's one way to do it. I'd probably be considering slab rebar to be the tie and would thus adjust the model a built to suit.

3) Imagine that the low wall was just supported on a plain old foundtion footing. In this case, I think that one could argue that there is not\ lateral load on the connection and, as you've said, the shear plane woul be zero degrees (vertical). Obviously, capacity for that would be very high and I struggle to think of a case where I'd bother to consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back