Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stepper motor selection for woodworking CNC router

Status
Not open for further replies.

freznel

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2008
US
Hello,

I am looking to build my own CNC wood router. I currently own a used one that I purchased off someone else who built it. It isn't large enough and I don't particularly want to modify it since it will work for some of my smaller projects.

The current one uses I believe NEMA23 stepper motors for a 5 ft. (X-axis - 1 Stepper) x 6 ft. (Y-axis - 2 Stepper) x 6 in. (Z-axis - 1 Stepper) cut area using a palm router.

I have the mechanical side of the project locked down for the new one, but I need to select the stepper motors and the other electronics that will be compatible.

My General Specs:

Overall dimensions:

X = 6 ft. (overall) (1 stepper motor)
Y = 10 ft. (overall) (2 stepper motor)
Z = about 1 ft. (milling height) (1 stepper motor)

Router weight = 10 lbs. (per online spec)
Gantry = 15 - 20 lbs. prior to stepper motors and router (estimated, it may be less)

max required in / min. = 100 in. / min.
Average milling speed X - Y axis = 40 - 60 in / min.

Rack and gear combo for X and Y axis.
Screw for Z axis.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just for my understanding. You are looking for something like this?. (Random image from the net).

Large-area-travel-XYZ-gantry-systems-from-IntelLiDrives_wxntl9.jpg

For the Y, instead of using two motors, it would be advisable to use one (Higher rated) with a connecting rod. Makes life simpler for the programmer and avoids torsional problems with two axis running in parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back