Status
Not open for further replies.

nbucska

Electrical
Jun 1, 2000
US
I have seen stained glass imitation based on a stick-on
plastic. Supposedly it retains the stickiness or if
the surface becomes contaminated you can just wash it off.

Anyone knows more about this ? Material, additives, how it
works ?

<nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It might be a PVC plastisol.

If so, it will wash off with acetone

Regards
pat

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Plastisol is PVC polymer dissolved in plasticisers like Di Octyl Phthalate (DOP) for example. There are many plasticisers that could be used, but I don't recall their names. DOP was the most popular, but as there was at one stage a question related to effects on health, it may not be in use now.

The PVC is dissolved to form a solution of the desired viscosity, the object to be coated is dipped in, it is then left to drain and dry. This is how they make PVC coated gloves for instance.

Regards
pat

I am interested in the transparent, permanently sticky plastik which can be stuck on any smooth surface again and again practically forever. Are we speaking about the same ?

Pat,

I think that you are on the right track here. From what I am understanding is that what he is looking for is thin guage vinyl sheet. I dont know if you had a kids art set like I did that was made by "Colorforms"? (I know that you don't live here in the U.S. but I have seen your posts and you certainlly know and have seen a lot!) Different shapes were cut out of vinyl sheet and they could be stuck to glass or any smooth surface, such as a table top to form pictures. (very popular in the 60's)

Some oil change companies utilize a small square of vinyl sheet with information on it which will remind a driver of when their next oil change is due. The vinyl sheet appears to be a decal which they place on the inside of the windsheild (no glue or adhesive).

Works really well.

theanswerguy@tr-usa.com

No

Plastisols go on like paint.

You are talking about plastic film with pressure sensitive adhesive on one side, or something like thick "Glad Wrap" with colour tints.

I think these cling films are mainly LDPE with tackifiers like vinyl acetate or "Surlyn" added.

If this is a very small or personal enquire try arts and crafts shops, if it is a medium to large comercial enquire try local film blowers, if it is a huge commercial enquire, worth hundreds of thousands of dollars investment contact manufacturers of film blowing lines, like "Barmag", "Reifenhauser" or "Alpine". Also try speciality resin suppliers like "DuPont" and "Atofina" or whatever they call themselves now.

Regards
pat

Theanswerguy is correct: I am looking for a film which
sticks again and again. A permanently electrically polarized
( "electret") material would be ideal if it would maintain
the "stickiness" for a long time.

Answerguy

I think you nailed it.

Those films I think are plasticised PVC made into an unreinforced film by calendering. For low volume, it could be cast from plastisols by pouring them onto a warm flat nonstick plate. The right plasticiser formulation would be required to get the tacky surface.

I have no idea who does that sort of thing in the USA. Here it would be Nylex for the film and Ferro (or whatever they call themselves now) for the plastisols.

Regards
pat

I have two youngsters - and have seen what you mean in their art supplies. It comes in tubes ressembling oil paint tubes, and you apply it to a plastic sheet included in the kit creating whatever shape with the different colors (like stained glass). After the "gel" has cured you peel it off the plastic sheet and it sticks to windows, and can be used over and over.

(It can also become a bit difficult to remove if left exposed to the sun for several years, but it does come off...)

It is called Art'i'stick or something of the sort. I'll check on their tubes for more info if this is what you mean.

samv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back