Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sticky situation? Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boottmills

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2006
US
About 3 years ago, one of my good friends helped me to get my foot into the door with the company I am now working for in the CAD Department. Approx 1 year later, he was promoted to a Designer position.

Unfortunatly our company has been in a bad way this year and we are having Reductions in Force. In the beginning of June we had one and 1/2 of my department was cut, my Supervisor being one of them. I was immediately promoted. We have just experienced another RIF and I was informed that my friend would now be working for me instead of designing (he was given the option to leave or have his role changed...one of the lucky few).

I'm not really sure how to handle this. I understand that he is upset, and I can not blame him, but I feel like he is bitter because I am now his supervisor. I know I am not here to make friends, but what about existing friends?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Boottmills
SW2006 SP3.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You were promoted to "Designer" and he was demoted from Designer?

You should, at the least, discuss the situation with your friend. Air out any issues now, before they get internalized and fester, only to pop out later.

I'm a little hazy on your job descriptions. Your friend is now less than a Designer? Which means what? If he's working for you and he's actually competent, then you can let him take on more responsibilities, so long as you give him proper credit when the time comes, so that he'll be in line for the next promotion.

However, someone saw fit to promote you over him, presumably because they thought that you were more capable. Likewise, his demotion may imply that they felt that he had been promoted above his level of expertise.

TTFN

I was promoted to CAD Supervisor. He is being demoted to CAD. The reason I am being told by my Boss (for the demotion) is since business is currently slow, he is worried that when we get a heavier work load we will not be able to keep up, and hiring a new employee will not be an option.

Boottmills
SW2006 SP3.0

Well, I would not really wanted to be in your position.
One thing that you should wanted to clear out with your boss is if his demotion is related with your promotion or not, meaning that if he was to be demoted no matter who would be replacing him.
Other thing that you should try to check is if this movement doesn't have any hidden agenda behind like to make the things unbearable for both of you and one (or both) ends up leaving. If you really believe that you were promoted becasue you deserved and showed skills that you boss valued, then go for it.
But the most important is that you speak with him and clarify all those issues.
Then sit down with your friend and in a open discussion speak out loud all your worries.

Boottmills

If hes a friend and you live/work together you may need to adress this issue with him directly.

Maybe the right situation (a couple of beers or similar) would be best to create a relaxed atmosphere.

Just to make sure that he will not carry a grude or believe that you where instrumental in creating a reversal of your positions.

Best regards

Morten

You are in an unenviable position. In whatever decisions you make please see that it is transparent so that everyone sees it is a fair and justified.

Do not waste your time brooding over this issue ,for tomorrow in another circumstance the roles might get reversed!!

If his problem is really about working for you, he could have taken the option of leaving. His frustration is most probably due to being in the firing line and you are an easy target because a) you're friends and b) your job appears safe.

As others have said, its best to talk it through with him before it gets to the point where it really is personal.

As the expression goes, good times don't last and bad times don't last.

Your relationship will probably change. You certainly will have to keep to yourself on some subjects you might have readily disclosed and or vented about before.

With greater responsibility, your perspectives will certainly change.

I'd try to be honest and fair, but you may discover that you didn't really know each other that well at all.

So it goes. Good luck weathering the downturn.

I'm trying to look at this as positively as I can. He and I spoke about everything this past weekend, and things are better. I was more worried about how this was going to effect his work more than anything.

Thanks for all the advice!

Boottmills [soapbox]
SW2006 SP3.0

Sounds like a poor boss in my opinion to put a guy with more experience under less experienced one.
But hey if your wages are the same, maybe your buddy likes less responsibiliy and is happy were he is.

These were 2 seperate events that took place. I was made the supevisor and at a later date he was demoted...It makes no sense to change 2 positions when you can change one. There is no reason to have to train 2 people when you only need to train one.

Also, just because I have not worked here as long as he has doesn't mean that I have less experience or that I am not as qualified or more qualified.

Boottmills [soapbox]
SW2006 SP3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back