Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stiffener Plates For Spreader Beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

WideMike

Structural
Nov 15, 2002
US
I'm reviewing a design of a three (3) section spreader beam made from 12" OD Standard Pipe prepared by another engineer. He has shown each pipe section butt welded to a flat end plate which will bolt to the next section. For reasons unclear, he has also welded some triangular stiffener plates at one-fourth points around the circumference of each pipe section. Anyone know of any rational (or empirical) method(s) of analysis to take into account the stiffening effects (if any) of these plates? Thanks very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless you have some wierd pick up points for your load, I can't think of a good reason. The end plates (think base plates) will be in compression with any typical load configuration. While I was still working, we had several different spreader beam configurations one, very similar to what you describe except the TS sections were threaded together. Just some random thoughts and not much help.
"Never miss a good chance to shut up."

Rod

Why not question the engineer who designed it?

Evelrod: I always seem to miss every opportunity to shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back