Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

stiffness matrix formulation for shell elements 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

poldolo

Automotive
Dec 17, 2002
IT
Could someone help me finding the mathematical formulation for stiffness matrix for a shell made of one element?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you mean the matrix formulation of a shell element? there are lots to chose from depending on what you want to get out of it.
A one element model would certainly be simple. you know you will only get values out of it at the nodes (corners or maybe midpoints). I have a dozen or so books on my shelf with this info, but I'm not really clear what you want.

See text book by Prof.Robert D.Cook, Concepts and Applications of FEM, John Wiley and Sons, 2000. He has a chapter on Shell elements.
Dr.P.Jayachandran, WPI, Worcester, Mass, 01609. Structural Engineering is the art and science of judiciously proportioning elements and systems to carry loads in an optimum fashion. Stress analysis, static, dynamic and non-linear, essentially enables the design. Aesthetics and economics play a complementary role in design-with constructability or feasiblity included.
Prof.Jay, WPI

Yes, I mean the matrix formulation of a shell element.
I have a one element model. I know I will only get values out of it at the nodes (the four corners, I use linear elements).I know I will get a 24*24 matrix (or a 20*20 if I use a shell).
I need to know all the values of the matrix (so 300 values).
If you could give me an intenet address -a web site- it wuold be better. Thank you in advance.

Another good source would be "Finite Element Procedures in Engineering Analysis" by Klaus-Jügen Bathe, sec 6.3.5 Plate and Shell Elements gives the formulation of isoparametric shell elements. This is a common book that should be in any library, but if you can't find let me hear. Univ. of Mich. - TCAUP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back