Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stopples Eq. Length

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheme2016

Chemical
Sep 7, 2016
US
For pressure drop calculation- what would be resistance coefficient and equ. length for stopples? Would be the same as the pipe size?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think I understand your question, because a stopple (a stopper or plug) has infinite resistance or equivalent length.

Is this a joke?

Good luck,
Latexman

To a ChE, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

Thanks for the responses
Wrong symbols were used on the drawings! They are not stopples. I found out they are check valves not stopples but called out that way.

If you are working with the classic K value method, then K = 2.0, while L/D = 135 for a swing check. Pls note that the Fanning friction factor to be used for this classic approach for fittings pressure drop must always range between 0.016 to 0.02, regardless of what the computed flow regime friction factor is.

If are using the 3-K method, then K = (2025/Nre) + 0.621 [1 + 4.0 (25.4/ID)^0.3], where ID = pipe id in mm, Nre = piping Reynolds number. I've had to extrapolate this myself from other known info, since there is no literature for swing checks in the 3-K docs.

Pls also note there is a minimum velocity which must be exceeded for swing / dual plate checks to enable stable flow - you may glean this off the internet - but be careful to cross check this against other guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back