Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Storage Container Design Loading 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
I've seen storage containers stacked 6 or 8 units high. Does anyone have a reference on the design loading for containers? Wind loading, vertical loading, lateral loading, point loads applied to the walls, etc. I understand they are connected at the corners only. Do they span from corner to corner? I'm looking at 40' containers. Thanks, Dik

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This exact question was just asked in the last couple months. I remember somebody posting some diagrams with the taller stacks. Not sure if I can find it, though....

Never mind. I misremembered. I was thinking of this one: thread194-504753

My last project is one of a container building with two rows of 2 containers spaced 40' apart x 80' long, stacked 6 high. The ends are filled in with framing and a door in one end. There is a steel truss roof between the two rows, spanning from outside wall to outside wall, about 56'.

They want me to design the end framing only, but, I've indicated that I need to look at the overall package... not being content to only design to enclosed ends. Currently the end supports are only spec'd as being welded together without any size stipulated.

There is a 7.5T crane supported between two of the containers, at the high roof level. The crane spans about 40', from inside wall to inside wall.

I understand the containers are designed to only be supported at the corners and they have a special 'clamping device' that connects them.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Thanks...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Generally stacking containers seven- or eight-high is for empty containers only but it is more common to go five-high, corner casting-to-corner casting. Empty container yards do not use 'twistlocks' to rigidly fix a container to the other containers in the stack and instead rely on progressively increasing stack height from the yard perimeter towards the centre, to give partial wind shielding. Empty container yards also stop work when wind speeds exceed safe limits.

Full containers are more commonly stacked up to five-high, again just relying on gravity to prevent toppling. Usually there are design reduction factors as it is rare for all containers in a stack to be fully loaded e.g. Table 8 of
Typically twistlocks are used to secure containers to ships or vehicles but container buildings also.

Thanks, gentlemen...

@jones That handbook is excellent...

@LittleWheels

is good info and has a lot of information about heavy pavement design. Some of the sites images don't show, and it would be nice to see what the whole article is.

@LittleInch You tried... I occasionally do that. Appreciated, anyway.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Search for John Knapton's British Ports Association Heavy Duty Pavement Design Manual 4th Edition or his North American Port Pavement Design Manual. While not the latest word in heavy duty pavements and mostly aimed towards concrete block paving, both are pretty simple to follow.

Britpave's Concrete Hardstanding Design Handbook is for concrete pavements, obviously, but it is another simple guide.

Thanks...

-----*****-----

-Dik

You could take at look at DNV 2.7-1, which is the DNV standard for offshore containers. Its currently number is DNV-ST-E271.

1.1 Introduction

This standard provides a framework for the certification of offshore containers and may be used to
demonstrate compliance with International Maritime Organisation Guidelines for Offshore Containers Handled
in Open Seas, IMO MSC/Circ.860.

The rate of wear and tear experienced by offshore containers under the conditions in which they are routinely
transported and handled can be high, and damage necessitating repair can occur. Containers designed and
certified in accordance with this standard should have sufficient strength to withstand the normal forces
encountered during offshore operations, and not suffer complete failure even if subject to more extreme
loads.

This standard was first published in 1989 as DNV Certification Note 2.7-1 Offshore freight containers. Several
new editions and amendments have been published since, however, whilst improvements and additions have
been made, original design requirements and safety factors have remained the same.
Containers certified in accordance with this standard will comply with the requirements of IMO MSC/Circ.860
and are typically dual certified in accordance with ISO 10855 parts 1 and 2, which are based on requirements
in this standard. The relationship between this standard and other standards, codes and regulations is further
described in [1.5].​

It also references other standards:

1.5 Relationship with other standards

1.5.1 The International Maritime Organization (IMO)

IMO has issued both the International Convention for Safe Containers (IMO CSC) and the International
Maritime Dangerous Goods (IMO IMDG Code). These are mandatory international regulations. IMO has
recognized that IMO CSC is not directly applicable for offshore containers that are handled in open seas,
and has issued a circular, IMO MSC/Circ.860, with guidelines on certification of offshore containers. The IMO
IMDG Code also requires that containers and portable tanks used for the carriage of dangerous goods are
certified for that purpose.
IMO has also issued the Code of Safe Practice for the Carriage of Cargoes and Persons by Offshore Supply
Vessels (IMO OSV) which includes guidelines for handling, stowage and securing of cargoes.

1.5.2 ISO standard freight containers (ISO containers)

Containers that are intended for sea transport on container ships are normally also designed according to
an applicable part of ISO 1496. Containers that are certified to IMO CSC are in general also designed as ISO
containers.
Offshore containers designed and certified in accordance with this standard may also be designed and
certified in accordance with IMO CSC and ISO 1496.

1.5.3 International standard ISO 10855

ISO 10855 Offshore containers and associated lifting sets consists of 3 parts, see Table 1-1​

Thanks Ussuri, I have a current(?) copy...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Thanks TLHS... good post...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Thanks...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Is anyone aware of any CAD drawings that shows the actual construction of a container? There appears to be enough informaton on the AISC clip that can be used to develop a lot of the details.

-----*****-----

-Dik

like RTFM?

-----*****-----

-Dik

Thanks too many hits with not enough information. RTFM is generally a trivial solution from people that don't know the answer...

-----*****-----

-Dik

TLHS... thanks, again... very useful.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back