Storage of Contaminated/Used Fire Water 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcman91

Mechanical
Jun 25, 2014
US
Hello,

Could someone provide me some guidance on the following? I am trying to size a Oily Water Storage Tank (atmospheric pressure) to gather runoff of firewater in the event of a Oil Storage Tank rupture inside of a building. To clarify, if a Oil Storage Tank (Lube Oil) were to rupture and cause a fire, the fire protection system would activate. The runoff of this oily water needs to be collected in a tank and cant be drained to the environment. Does NFPA provide any guidance on sizing this tank? I am considering this oil-water mixture a flammable liquid (although the concentration is unknown), thus the storage of flammable liquid is why I am going to NFPA for sizing guidance.

I have seen something about it needs to be sized for 10 minutes of the Fire Protection flow. But would like a second opinion.

Thanks for your time,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may be able to find some sizing requirements in NFPA 30. If you're in a jurisdiction that's in the US that has adopted the International Fire Code, the requirements for containment are pretty clear which are:
[ul]Volume of the largest tank or container +
20 minutes of sprinkler flow calculated for either the area of the room or the design area of the system, whichever is smaller[/ul]

Thank you very much Stookeyfpe!

I believe this is what I was looking for. Did some research and the state this is located in has fully adopted the IFC thus the IFC code should be used in place of the NFPA code. A co-worker has stated that in NFPA 850 there is wording that covers this topic for anyone else that needs a NFPA standpoint on this.

Thanks again,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back