Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Storage Tank level controls 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PurewaterGuy

Industrial
Aug 27, 2008
US
I would like to boost the incoming water pressure to some equipment.

I want to connect the city feed to a 200 gallon storage tank.

I need a valve that will open and close when the high and low level controls signal the tank is either low or full.

Any suggestions on what components I can use? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The simple method is to use a float valve.

You can also use a more complicated method that involves a separate level sensor/transmitter, a separate level controller, and a separate modulating valve. This system is much more expensive, but capable of better control. With this system, you set the level that is desired on the controller and the controller will autmatically maintain the water level. There are many options as to the types of instruments that are available. Refer to the schematics.

Without knowing anything else about your system, that is all that can be said.

Some time ago you were asking about pressure controllers and back pressure controllers. I attached an article regarding these instruments.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f0ea3d24-474c-444d-961d-198cc8d8138b&file=PlastOMaticWP.pdf
Cla-Val, Singer and Dorot all make a piolt float device that can be connected to their altitude valve. This when the level hits the float the altitude valve closes. As the float rises slowly with the water level the altitude valve closes slowly and thus avoids waterhammer.

You may need a stilling well around the float depending upon whether there is any wave motion on the surfce of the reservoir.

These devices are much simpler than having a control loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back