Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Storm Drain Graffiti

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew88

Civil/Environmental
May 16, 2002
US
If you think spray painting "Do Not Dump - Drains to Stream" on Storm Drains is graffiti, then I may have an alternative.

In Charleston, SC, round discs about 3" diameter have been grouted/epoxied to the top surface of the curb inlets. The discs are hard plastic or some similar substance and have the "Do Not Dump - Drains to Stream" message with a little fish on it, and the adhesive material looked like epoxy to me, grout to another passerby (who wondered why I was so closely examining a storm drain). The application looks very nice and unobtrusive, a lot less unsightly than spray paint.

I have asked a representative from the International Concrete Repair Institute to get more information on the adhesion technique; as for the discs, you might have to contact the city of Charleston. I will post here as soon as I have further information.

Tell anyone you think might be interested!

The City of Plant City, Florida, has a metal sign plackard they affix to inlets. Similar wording as well as the fish.

Mark R.

Hi!
I have seen signs on interstates and roadways that say speed limit 55, radar enforced!

As engineers, get involved early with school programs to educate the children in these matters. Explain to them, and show them how the eco system works, and how things got screwed up because of our dumbness. Tell them they have a chance to make things better and to educate their parents about these things. I remember my children coming home about trash recycling.

I live near the chesapeake bay, and I'll be dammed if I want to give up my crabs because someone dumped toxic poisoning in my bay. The same applies to the tributaries upstream. Trout live there! We were almost at extintion level with Rockfish (stripped bass) in the suquehana river due to pollution levels. Know in these drought days, Baltimore drinks water out of the susquehana. Luckily efforts to curb pollution took place over the last thirty years or we would have been in grave trouble.

So what I am saying is, do not get excited about a sign, do something in your community to give meaning to the sign also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back