Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Storm Sewer Grate Intake Capacity 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFreund

Structural
Aug 14, 2010
US
1.) I'm trying to compute the intake capacity of a storm sewer grate that is 2' in diameter that is near a the curb of the parking lot.

2.) Does it seem reasonable to have 60,150 sqft of parking lot tributary to (1) 2' diameter intake?

I calculated approx 8 cfs for the peak flow to the intake for a 10yr storm, but I'm not sure how to calculate the intake capacity.
Peak flow using:
Using Q=CIA with I=5.8 in/hr (this is in northern IL).

Sorry if I'm leaving info out, but I'm trying to get a rough idea if enough drainage has been provided.

EIT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RFreund
Speaking from my florida experience, I, as well as many other florida engineers rely on FDOT criteria and inlet capacity tables. I believe these tables are based on the principle of flow through an orifice and use an equation similar to an orifice equation. I beleive this is correct, but I'd have to look at the FDOT document to confirm for sure. At any rate, I typically use the tables. I don't have the tables open in front of me, but my intuition tells me that you will need more than one 2' diameter inlet for 8 cfs. You can probaly search for the tables on the FDOT website and access them. I would also imagine that other state DOTs would have similar tables.

Weir flow (instead of orifice) is typically assumed unless the ponding depth is deep. Depth of ponding is the key criteria here and is usually limited to 6 - 12 inches or so. Also, you should consider that flat grates commonly get blocked with debris such as plastic bags, leaves etc and theis can reduce the capacity by 50% or more. Two foot round, flat grate is probably not sufficient.

Neenah Foundry Co. has done actual tests on their grates, both in curb flow and ponding. You should be able to access this data from their web site and select a grate that is similar to the one your ae evaluating.

bimr links the document I'd use. It's long, but worth the read.

The answer to question 2 is easy - a two foot diameter grate is usually not enough for an acre and a half of parking lot drainage. I've occasionally seen inlets designed that sparsely when the client is large, private, and cheap, such as an owner of an industrial warehouse facility who doesn't really care if their parking lot floods out routinely, but even for those guys you need to show clearly on your construction documents the limits of ponding for design storms to cover your own butt.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

The Denver flood control manual (UDFCD) is fine but for more general information, go to the FHWA website for the original source material that is referenced by the UDFCD. Such as: HEC 12 - Drainage of Highway Pavements or HEC 22 - URBAN DRAINAGE DESIGN MANUAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back