Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stormwater Inlet Grate - Clogging Efficiencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDAnderson

Civil/Environmental
Dec 18, 2008
Hello,

I'm curious to know how people determine anticipated stormwater inlet grate efficiencies resulting from grates clogging due to leaves and debris. I assume it is a function of longitudinal slope and inlet location (on a slope versus at a lowpoint).

Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks,

Derek

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my area the DOT has set parameters describing the clogging for grated inlets as well as curb opening inlets. For instance, ongrade grates require a 50% efficiency and curb opening inlets 80%. I would recommend checking with your local DOT for design parameters.

while slope may technically have an impact on the amount of clogging of the grate, generally a grate clogging policy is set by the agency as indicated by gbam. sumped grate inlets have the lowest efficiency due to the tendency to clog and some agencies prohibit them.

Here are other factors that fall under "engineering judgement", for consideration along with the regulatory requirements:

1. Are you in a "sump"/"sag" condition - if yes, use a higher factor than you would on a continuous grade.
2. You can also look at the tributary area for potential sources of clogging material. I use higher factors where big-leaf maples drop leaves on the street than when the vegetation is conifer, for example. Also, if you see trash/debris in the gutter or along the sidewalk like occurs in certain neighborhoods, that is a clue to apply a higher clogging factor.
3. Vaned grate inlets are generally less clog-prone than "flat" grates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back