Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stormwater Pipe Corrosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

A56

Civil/Environmental
Nov 15, 2004
US
Can anyone please suggest some references that cover factors (environmental and other) which contribute to corrosion of stormwater pipes? The particular pipe materials I have in mind are RCP, CMP, HDPE, and ductile iron (I guess that covers the most commonly used ones). I need information on the optimal environmental conditions (pH, soil resistivity, etc.) for each of these pipe materials. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check with your local DOT. Here in Arizona, ADOT produced a pipe selection guide that describes exactly what you are looking for. The guidelines are based on the required service life for the pipe. I am not sure if this guide is online but here is ADOTs website:

Good Luck
GB

Based on 40 years working with pipes both new construction and repair, here are some guidelines I use.
CMP will last at most 25 years. The inverts go first.
RCP will last 50 plus years. Even exposed to salty snow runoff, except near heated sidewalks.
HDPE will last the longest because it does not react to salts and has a very good resistance to abrasion.
Ductile, cement coated will last about 40 years. These are only when used as storm drains. Other applications change the RCP and Ductile.

Richard A. Cornelius, P.E.

Thanks everybody so much for your suggestions. If I can add to this thread in any way, I will keep it updated.

The "Technical Notes" .pdfs on this page will answer all you have asked and much more, for HDPE pipe only. By reference and comparison, you can also get some info on other materials.

A live sales rep will respond within a day or two if you email a specific question, this person is not an engineer, but will put you in touch with one if needed. I've found ADS has always helped me with any problem.

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back