Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stormwater Vortex Separator

Status
Not open for further replies.

brf007

Structural
Sep 5, 2001
NZ
Currently involved in a project where we wish to separate out coarse particles of metal from stormwater runoff. One proposal is to use a 'Hydrodynamic Vortex Separator'. I appreciate the principle of this type of system, however, I have not had any experience with them. Can anyone offer advice on their effectiveness and/or suitability, or direct me to a source of information that does.

Regards

Bruce Forbes

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

EPA has developed "Technology Fact Sheets" for a number of wastewater, CSO, and stormwater technologies. They are unbiased, don't constitute endorsement, but didn't involve lab testing either. Go to:

/
and click on "hydrodynamics" under stormwater.

My view of these technologies is that they are fine for heavy particles that settle out, and for floatables (litter) - NOT for fines or phosphorous, typical municipal stormwater. (So metals would be OK, if maintained.) They also have applications for highways where hydrology and space constraints restrict conventional surface detention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back