Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Strahman Sampling Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krausen

Mechanical
Jan 1, 2013
US
Does forum have any experience ordering Strahman sampling valves? I am needing to order replacement ones for downstream/petrochem applications. I am not having any luck contacting Strahman & getting ahold of anyone.

Also, is forum aware if any competitor products that exist for these Strahman sampling valves? I'd like to investigate other manufacturers based on my experience in trying to get ahold of Strahman.

These are specialty manual sampling valves, typically 1" & 3/4" size with 300SS bodies & manual crank handles. The Strahman base model #s are SV-700 & SV-600. Very straight forward & simple in design, yet effective.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It’s sounded that there is an issue of the local valve Rep in your area.
Or may have the Company Procurement or the local material/valve distributor to help for the valve quote.

What is your product and temperature?
I have good and not so good experience with Strahman, mainly for high viscosity and high temperature (around 250 degC above)?
SV-700 basically requires around 14-16 turns of the lever prior it start to fill your sampling cup
after reaching that start of opening, it takes less than 2 seconds to fill up the cup. Night and sometimes morning shift might have issues with over-filling
You can ask for 'conical' shape piston instead of flat one, it may buy extra time to fill the cup.

One thing that we don't use is a block valve before the sampling valve, as one may argue that it is a dead space and either it can be clogged or not so good sampling product.

Regards,
D

Danlap - Yes this is for high viscosity & high temp application (asphalt/resid hydrocarbons operating btw 500 - 600 degF [260 - 315 degC]). We do not use a root valve (block before before sampling valve) either for reasons you mentioned. We often install a 1/2" globe valve on the sampling valve outlet line to control the sampling flow rate.

Unfortunately, the process connection for this replacement Strahman valve is 1" threaded, so I will need to order a threaded SV800 & seal weld the threaded connection to the process line branch (dissimilar metal seal weld btw 316SS Strahman valve & 5Cr threaded olet)

I've finally got ahold of a Strahman rep with a new SV-800 model arriving in a week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back