Strainer for cooling water

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubulu123

Petroleum
Oct 24, 2010
IN
Hello everybody,
In my refinery, because of lack of area, Basket filter at suction of cooling water booster pump was dismantled. In place of this T type strainer (30") with mesh size 7 mesh was put but it is getting frequently plugged(every 4-5 hrs)
It needs cleaning sfter that.
Cooling water source is from sea water channel.
Pump flow rate (rated) is 5150 m3/hr
Currently we are operating with a 2.5 mesh screen.It seems that my 30" strainer is undersized. Please help me in deciding the suitable size of strainer required to overcome the problem.

Thanks all in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Perhaps you need two strainers, with selector valves, and maybe a timed backflush to dump out the barnacles and such.
Have you got room for that?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Dear Mike,
we are operating with two strainers right now( 1operating+1standby).But the problem is the frequency of plugging;asking for maintainence,which is thrice in a shift(8hrs).Though currently I am operating with a 2.5 mesh(originially 7mesh),i can't operate for long time which will have a impact on downstream exchangers in terms of plugging,corrosion,erosion etc.Therefore I wanted to know what should be strainer size(currently30 inch)i can opt for with 7mesh ,which will have a less pr. drop even after considering a plugging area of 20%.Is there any such guideline,chart available to reach at optimum strainer size at a certain flowrate.
regards,
dubulu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back