strainers

Status
Not open for further replies.

prens11us

Mechanical
Jan 20, 2006
DE
Hello all,

I am preparing a data sheet for strainers which are located on the suction line of the fire water pumps. Should these strainers be temorary? In which code I can find information about strainers. Does anyone knows any source about strainers.

Thanks in advance.

Prens

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They can be of a temporary nature for start-up and commissioning, but those may be of a different mesh size than the permanent ones, which are usually changed out after comissioning has been completed.

Search for "strainers pipe"

For firewater pumps you would usually have a coarse strainer say 2mm bolt catcher upstream, you dont need any finer strainers as the pumps are built with fairly large clearances to make them robust

If you don't make them as temporary or startup strainers I recommend providing a dP gauge so the customer knows when the strainer needs to be cleaned.

Otherwise, it's out of sight, out of mind. Don't mess around with 2 pressure gauges, you really want a dP gauge in this service.

As per NFPA 20, the strainer shall be installed in the fire pump suction line where removal of the driver is required to remove rocks or debris from the pump impeller. Strainer shall be designed to restrict the passage of 7.9 mm sphere or as recomended by pump manufacturer.

sharique

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back