Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strand 7 Error: Global stiffness matrix is singular

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryanhhh97

Structural
Sep 24, 2020
AU
Hi,

Does anyone know how to solve the problem of "Global stiffness matrix is singular"? I have a shell structure built in Rhinoceros and imported into Strand 7. After conducting surface automeshing, I have applied the plate thickness as 400mm and defined the fixed supports. However, when I run the model, the error message popped up sand saying " Global stiffness matrix is singular". I don't know why this happened, can someone have a look at my files and tell me where did I go wrong?

Thanks,
Ryan

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6fa2d6af-f070-4c55-994e-cf139e94afd9&file=Shell_A2.LSL
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Edited after looking at the log file.

OK, so you have got plates, nodes etc.

Have you defined material properties and node restraints?

Can you upload your ST7 file.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Hi Doug,

Thanks for replying my post. Yes, I have defined material properties and node restraints. Basically, I have defined the fixed bottom supports and a hinge support at one side of the shell, and left all other nodes unchanged. The link to my ST7 is attached to my original post, could you please have a look at it? My running result is attached to this reply. Really appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Ryan

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=efc9e967-3704-44d4-b440-576c08d06a1a&file=Shell_A2.LSL
The model has 1118 different plate properties, and only the first one has non-zero values. If you assign property type 1 to all the plates the analysis completes successfully.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Hi Goug,

Thank you so much! The problem has been solved now.[dazed]

Kind Regards,
Ryan

Yes, it's one of the shell roofs of Sydney Opera House.

Hi Ryanhhh97

Have a look at the online content on the Strand7 website, there is a lot of information with regards to debugging models.

It may help in the future.

Hi Mohanlal0488,

Yes, I did. Thank you so much for your advice.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back