Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Editing Imported Geometry Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMango

Mechanical
May 1, 2001
US
SW11 Sp5.0

Sometimes we get imported geometry from our ID guys that use Rhino. We edit these files in SW for manufacturing feasibility. We recently had a part that whenever we tried to edit it we would get the "Feature Failed to Cut the Body" or "Geometry Error" messages. I went to a co-workers computer to have him try to edit the part, and he had no errors, so I copied his settings (Copy Setting Wizard) over to another machine that was having the errors, and it can now edit the part without any problems.

I have left my machine as "the control" and am comparing all the settings, but I cannot find any differences. Do any SW Gurus here what I should be looking for? It's very possible that I have overlooked something, somewhere.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The files saved by the Copy Settings Wizard are text files and relatively readable. I would get settings files from both a good and a bad machine and then use a file difference tool to see which settings are different. Because programmers use them to compare versions of their source code, there are a ton of those tools out there. The one I currently use is from This should be quicker and more thorough than digging through the options menus on the two machines.

Eric

Eric, I will keep that method in mind, and try that route.

Dan, I don't have the luxury of impeding production in the office, that is reserved for Directors and above. It would be interesting to try though. [smile]

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Dan,

Eltron said:
Copy your setting and see if you can jack up a working computer.
Are you thinking that maybe screwing up both computers could lead to MadMango and his compatriot both getting new High End Workstations? [lol][bluegreedy]

At least MadMango didn't take the Reinstall route typically copy settings will fix most problems for identical machines and many times for different ones.

For a cheaper investigation you can do a file compare of the .sldreg or what should be (or actually is .reg as you'd get with using regedit) using msWordd, excell or Textpad.

Registry location
MyComputer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks

You can use (Favorites > Add to favorites) to save it for easy access from the regedit pull down menus.
MyComputer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 20##\ImportSettings.
regedit.sw.import.PNG

Save off your settings and try the option to reset all settings to SolidWorks Defaults and try that next.
Good Luck

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ mcSldWrx2008
= ProE = SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back