Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Fitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi all, the taper surface seems to work as the front and back ferrule of a swagelok fitting type! It had better have this sort of fitting, because they are much more standardised!

Mario Souza
Application & Product Engineering
WMF Solutions Brazil

Many, many years ago I worked in an ice cream plant. This type fitting was used there extensively. It is half of a union fitting. The other half had a mating contact surface to the angled face shown, and it had fixed external threads to match the nut on the picture. We would insert a flat, concentric circular paper gasket between the contact surfaces before making the connection and tightening. I don't know what it's called, but it is a sanitary fitting used in the dairy industry.

Good luck,
Latexman

Huh? I swear the picture in the OP has changed. The one that's visible now looks like half of a ball-face union.

The one that was there a couple of days ago looked sort of like an engine cylinder, i.e., fins on a short tube.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Latexman may be on the right track, it's hard to tell from the VNE web site if this is the fitting.

MikeHalloran, you are right, it appears some people may be commenting on a different fitting. There are a bunch of photos on the FLIKR site, and when I pulled it up, I had to scroll through the previous photos top find what Chemeng421 was talking about, i.e. with the several rings that, as you say, could be likened to cooling fins on an engine cylinder.

Chemeng421: It would have helped if you had only put up the photo(s) to which you were referring, also if you had an idea of the size (looks like it could be quite a large nozzle?) It may well be some kind of manwya fitting for sanitary (food grade) equipment. If there are any dairy workers or dairy farmers in the forum, some of them may recognize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back