Stream Channel Stabilization

Status
Not open for further replies.

alchemon

Mechanical
Aug 8, 2015
US
Hello all,

I have heard quite a bit about stream bank stabilization techniques but nothing about stream channel stabilization. Is formal stream channel stabilization even feasible with the current USACE general permits (I don't think so) as I think any armoring technique threatens to change the stream's profiles. Perhaps some kind of thin matting across the channel might work like we do on man made ditches, but it seems unlikely that it would be permitted?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

channel stabilization doesn't have to change the profile. It is normally limited to grade controls and those are usually constructed at road crossings. you can get a nationwide permit for a transportation project (road crossing NWP14).

It might be time consuming and more expensive, but you can get an individual permit.

Outside of setting a box culvert or bridge pier into the channel, do you have anything else in mind? For example, I doubt you could pull a permit for riprap in the channel unless it was local to assist scour around culvert/piers.

What if you had something more like a linear sewer utility crossing and you wanted to stabilize the channel with the banks?

Hello all,

Thanks for all the responses. To answer a few questions:

1. Yes on certain projects HDDs/trenchless are feasible/economical, on others they are not.

2. The utility line general permits require that the elevations be returned to the original condition. I don't see how you can argue that this is feasible with riprap.

3. The utility general permits indicate that the crossings cannot impact aquatic habitat. I don't see how this would be feasible with a concrete bottom unless you were just replacing rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back