Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Street Elbows

Status
Not open for further replies.

yountsky3

Mechanical
Dec 5, 2018
US
Are street elbows (1/2” x 1”) installed in a 1/2” outlet NFPA 13 approved? NFPA states that the minimum steel pipe diameter is 1” but technically a street el is not pipe. I’ve seen them installed on several occasions and have heard varying opinions on whether or not they are approvable. Curious what you all have to say.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok,since I do not join pipe, don’t have to know all those technical terms

Street Elbows
"Street Elbows", typically available as a malleable-iron fitting, is an elbow with a female thread on one side and a male thread on the other. They can be particularly helpful when an elbow is needed to come directly off a welded branch line without a riser nipple in-between the branch pipe and the elbow. I don't know where "street" elbows get their name, but I like to think it comes from a dark and cloudy past of use in 1920's style gangster street battles.

Yes. They are acceptable. They are used often in seismic areas for tenant improvement work. You can't use the Sch 80 nipple in seismic areas as the detail in 13 shows. These are also known as "California ells." I grew up with them called street ells.

Travis Mack, SET, CWBSP, RME-G, CFPS
MFP Design, LLC

I think someplace I saw the Street ell was because the old wooden pipe was penetrated by a street ell. If it was not here, it may have been on the sprinkler forum.

Whether it is called an elbow or an elle, it does not make a difference; the only problem that I see with them is the increase in flow friction, so judiciously use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back