Strength Safety Factor and Failure Analysis 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tejras

Mechanical
Jun 16, 2013
IN
Hello,

I was doing structural analysis on system made of steel. Further I proceeded with durability simulation to see if it fails at particular load case or not. The images for simulation are enclosed in this thread.

Now I'm quite confused about the results. The magnitude I'm getting for safety factor is quite high. which one should be considered to be the actual one? how to proceed for a proper failure analysis?

Thank you

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=718b6558-3638-4c68-a311-96
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Tejras,

In my opinion, you need to reverse the color of the contour. Usually red color is refer to "danger", but in your case, strength safety factor of 4455.88 is very safe.

According to NX Documentation, when analyzing durability results, failure occurs when for strength safety factor (SSF) less than 1. Lower SSF indicate that the stress levels during the event are high.

So after you reverse the color contour, you will see almost all your model elements will become red, which are fail.

Kind regards,
Tuw

That was of great help Mr Tuw thank you.

Anyways I was wondering if I could see the system actually failing during analysis.

Well, while setting up the durability wizard there are the factors (con misses, Tresca.. Smith Watson topper, strain life max shear,.... In stress and fatigue life criterion respectively) we need to opt for accurate simulation, so on what basis shall we decide those factors?

It'll be great if you could explain, or share any link or book for its explanation.

I'll be thankful

Respectfully
Tejras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back