Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stress Analysis Text Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpedge

Aerospace
Oct 25, 2006
Hi ya all,
Just wondering if any one could help with a very good stress analysis text book that covers in detail analytical stress analysis techniques as well as some basic FEA. I currently have T.G Megson's book but just wanted to know if there are other books much better than megson's book.

Many thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks ....could you recommend any good textbook that covers analytical stress analysis covering pressure vessels, fatigue damage and failure analysis, unsymmetrical bending and inelastic buckling..

Hi sharpedge,

As GregLocock says, start with Timoshenko. You should have Timoshenko & Goodier: Theory of Elasticity. The other classics are Timoshenko and Gere: "Theory of Elastic Stability", and Timoshenko and Woinowsky-Krieger:"Theory of Plates and Shells".
Another good book on practical stress analysis is "Practical Stress Analysis in Engineering Design" (Alexander Blake). This is available through Amazon.
For fracture mechanics a very good book on nitty gritty issues is "The Practical Use of Fracture Mechanics" by David Broek. Fairly expensive but softbound edition is available (still quite expensive, but worth it).
I have used all these books and can recommend them all.
Regards

Andries

One textbook which may be of interest is "Roark's Formulas for stress and strain"

Timoshenko is good but I feel is becoming outdated especially with FEA really something that was beyond his time.

I wouldn't say the fundamentals covered in Timoshenko are outdated. A large percentage of the ANSYS verification cases are based off of Timoshenko's exact solutions.

Interesting Transient1

Dont get me wrong I think Timoshenko's books are outstanding.

But which of his books are you referring too?

Ive got Strength of Materials
and Theory of structures

Could it be His Theory of Elasticity?

Cheers!

It looks like a bunch of the structural verification cases are based on:

S. Timosehnko, Strength of Material, Part 1 and Part 2, Elementary Theory and Problems, 3rd Edition

S. Timoshenko, Strength of Materials Part1 published 1955.

It covers fundamentals stress and strain problems, but where is anything on FEM ? Timoshenko in 1965 in Theory of Structures introduced matrix methods in structural analysis and inverted a 6 x 6 matrix using a mainfraim computer!

Really its nowhere near what the Op is after.

If anything I would recommend Popov, Engineering Mechanics of Solids.

RE: Timoshenko:

I remember in the first lecture of my "Structural Mechanics 101" course at uni - we had a lecturer with a very dry sense of humour. He told us about the great Irish theoretician, Tim O'Shenko, and as our first assignment, we had to do some library research to write a report on his life's works. Not many of us scored full marks for that one (back in the days before the Internet and Google)!

When I did my course we used Timoshenko's books Strength of Materials and also Theory of structures. Didn't really know much about this character except that he wrote many books.

As for being Irish your lecturer put a good one on you guys ! Was it 1st April ?

Hi Sharpedge !

I think some good books are Dym and Shames - Solid Mechanics a Variational approach,
Filonenko- Borodich - Theory of Elasticity.
Another excelent book is " AIRFRAME - Stress Analysis and Sising" by Michael C. Y. Niu.
This last one is very good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back