Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stress analysis 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikrameng

Mechanical
May 12, 2005
US
After doing a stress analysis(ANSYS) on a component, how do you go about calculating the fatigue life of the component.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You really must go on a training course or at least get a book on the subject and do some studying rather than ask a question like that here.

Oh, I think that's a bit negative. You just pay for the fatigue module upgrade, run it with all the default values, print the pretty picture, and deliver the design.

When the product fails /then/ you go on the course and read the books.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Greg clearly is either a manager or shows great management potential! I'd suggest, though, that before you start the job you always have someone else who you can blame.

It would take too long to answer the original question so it's better to read the appropriate design standard for that component, and pehaps read some guidelines on how to use FE in fatigue assessment. NAFEMS probably has some.

corus

normally i like greg's posts, but this one ...

clearly the original poster doesn't know enough to correctly apply a "magic bullet" solution ...

but to be helpfull to vikrameng, i agee with johnhors, get a book about fatigue analysis, maybe a training course (but i believe you have to know something of the topic to get the most out of these). sorry, but sometimes you have to put in the "hard yards" ...

good luck

I think Greg’s sarcasm was lost somewhere…

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

vikrameng: Perhaps try here for an introductory answer to your question. (By the way, "wrought" means not cast; i.e., wrought means extruded, rolled, drawn, or forged.) And perhaps try these example fatigue problems. Good luck.

Vikrameng,
The software should come with some sort of training manual or help documentation. If you don't have those then try online to find a tutorial. Or send one of those "spam" emails to your friends asking if they have a tutorial :). Having said that I should add that it is always good to work out the problem using simple hand calculation first. It is very important to understand the theory in fatigue analysis. Since you have already done a static analysis the results from that should be helpful in your hand calculations.

ahad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back