Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

stress categories

Status
Not open for further replies.

isg1968

Mechanical
Jan 28, 2006
ES

Can someone help me how to define the different stress categories. I was asked to prepare stress analysis specification , the piping department manager requires that this categories need to be specified within the spec
Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ISG,
Are you refering to Level A, B, C loading specifications?
If so, they are clearly defined in the ASME BPVC books. They have to be as they have defined requirements for analysis, which is why the manager wants it.

Frank "Grimey" Grimes

Hello isg1968,

The first question you must answer is what are you desiging (or specifying) and what is the Code that you are mandated to use for the design. Presumably you are designing a piping ststem so perhaps you are using the ASME B31 Pressure Piping Codes.

The B31 Codes provide design rules for piping systems that will protect the piping from PRIMARY stresses and from SECONDARY stresses (and combinations of these). I would suggest that if you are looking for definitions of these fundamental concepts, you should ask someone else to prepare the specification. Alternately, you should download this file and STUDY it until you are sure you know the subject:

Good luck. John

there are five categories,1,2..5 I gess that system of categorie 1 is less critical than sytem categori 2 or 3,4, and 5 etc...and each categorie refers to service conditions which are different from service condition of sytem cat 2 ,3,4 or 5
What i'm looking for is how to define tese categories.
Level A, B, C loading specifications are some things else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back