stress concentrations for hollow cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

pv31

Materials
Nov 16, 2011
CA
Hey

I'm looking for the stress concentration factors for a hollow cylinder. Peterson's has one for a hollow cylinder containing a shoulder and under torsion. I need the stress concentrations for hollow cylinders containing shoulders (bending), keyways (bending/torsion), etc. Is this something I would have to find using FEA software?

This for a design of a hollow shaft. A square driveshaft is inserted into the hollow cylinder and turns it. On the outer diameter of hollow cylinder are bearings on each side and a sprocket in the middle running a similar setup shaft (except solid) through a roller chain. I'm basically designing an inter row tiller.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So you have a cylindrical shaft with a square shaped hole in its center that mates with a square shaft that is driving it? A square shaft coupling is a crappy approach to transfer torque. The sharp corners in the internal square coupling create large stress concentrations. And the pressure angle resulting from the flank contacts of the square coupling will create significant radial forces on the shaft. If the square shaft coupling is located under one of the bearings, the radial loads it produces will create problems for the adjacent bearing.

Square shafts are pretty popular in agricultural equipment, at least for transmitting torque.
"Shaft sizes (ds) from 7/8" square to 1-1/2" square"

Big name bearing manufacturers are willing to participate. (maybe because the bearings don't last long, creating a nice spare parts business)

Finding bearings was easy. But no hubs or sprockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back